18 July 2019

Singapore by night


Here is a selection of shots I took while on a recent overnight stopover in Singapore. I was staying in a central hotel within walking distance of the new cool architecture around Marina Bay. So I took a walk around the bay after midnight when the city was quiet. It never sleeps. It was magical. I was all alone. I was safe. I was in a beautiful city.


The old city buildings are low and colonial.


The new city buildings are tall and modern - A view across the Esplande Bridge to Downtown Core.


The Helix Bridge across to the Marina Bay Gardens is a superb twisting double strand of steel.


Why do all major cities seem to have to have a giant wheel these days? - The Singapore Flyer


The Helix Bridge and the Flyer


So different, so pure, so style - The Marina Bay Sands Hotel


The ArtScience Museum - A giant flower-shaped design and technology museum


A natural floral design - palm trees in the gardens below the hotel.


More flowers - The Flower Dome. The flowers are at peace, no visitors to the glasshouse at night.


The walk around the outside of the building is an art experience in itself.


In behind the Flower Dome and the hotel stand the flowers of the Supertree Grove - art at its most stunning. This is a grove, or rather two groves of tree-shaped open structures, with plants growing up through the intricate open weave. Although the upright garden is not yet five years old the plants are growing well and their stems and leaves are filling the frames nicely, creating vertical flower beds, each resembling a tree. I haven't seen them by day, but I thoroughly recommend seeing them at night when they are lit in multiple colours, and hearing them, for sound is cast around them. I was there late, the colours were fixed on blue and there was no sound. However, I had the grove to myself and the experience was sublime.


A walkway links around the stems of a few of the trees - The Skyway, 22m high.


Other trees stand alone, stand tall. The height range is 25-50m.


I know someone who was part of the design team for this marvellous urban landscape. Thank you R and all the team for such a wonderful concept.


Then I took myself back to the hotel from where I took one last look at the colours and listened to the sounds of the night city.

What a city.


No comments:

Post a Comment

  Bay of Fires Here is a selection of shots taken during a recent trip to the Bay of Fires, Tasmania. This was a short three day trip with t...