10 January 2014

Venice - doorknobs

In this selection of shots I have fine-tuned my attention to detail and the character of the buildings. What could be even more personal than the window of a home than the front door handle. Venice has a tradition of adding elaborate doorknobs. Some have followed the fashion of the time they were fitted, others give hints on the occupier's occupation or lifestyle, and there are varieties on the themes. I lost count of how many versions of St Mark's lion I saw. I have not given up on my quest to find one more style of doorknob; perhaps a fancy figure, or a simple pull grip, one with wonderful patina. Maybe around the next alley.

There are no captions to these photographs, I leave the viewer to ponder on whose hands have pulled on these doorknobs? Where were they off to, what to do, when?

Click here  to follow a slideshow of larger versions of the images.























No comments:

Post a Comment

  Bay of Fires Here is a selection of shots taken during a recent trip to the Bay of Fires, Tasmania. This was a short three day trip with t...